Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Recipe Recap: Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Baked Ziti

After I posted last week's picture, my mean caring sister Melissa said she was going to put me up for being on "America's Worst Cooks!"  :(  I must redeem myself this week!

Let's start with Jessica Seinfeld's Sweet and Sour Meatballs with egg noddles.   Really, really good!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Calories: 322, Carbs: 19g, Protein: 19 g, Total Fat: 15 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Sodium: 605 mg, Fiber: 4 g 

Ground turkey with hidden broccoli and a really delicious homemade sauce.  I want to make it for sweet and sour chicken this week with some brown rice.  There was not spewing of sauce, no burning of meatballs, but there was 1 thing: they were green!  The broccoli definitely gave them a green tint.

In her recipe (all the recipes are now on my recipe page), it said to use a mixer to mix ingredients to form meatballs.  This did not work.  I am doing the hand method next time for sure.  They were not really round meatballs.  They were still delicious just not very binding.  Maybe bread crumbs instead of 2 pieces soft whole wheat bread?

Not too green because covered in sauce!  :)

Baby girl loved these meatballs!  She was already a big fan of egg noddles, but she really enjoyed the meatballs and ate more than her fair share.  Any time I can get her to eat what we are having makes me feel successful for the day!  :)

Later in the week, I opted for an easy Baked Ziti that was not nearly as healthy as the Jessica Seinfeld one that I had planned on making but was very, very yummy! 

Baked Ziti
Calories: 440, Carbs: 53 g, Protein: 25 g, Total Fat: 14 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Sodium: 700 mg, Fiber: 3g

This recipe comes from Kraft Foods and is a family favorite!  The Ray-man chowed on it.  I chowed on it.  Baby girl is still chowing on it!  Not super healthy but paired with a salad it is not horrendous, oh who am I kidding?!?!?  :)

yummy baked ziti!
Lots and lots of delicious cheese, really easy to make and a perfect comfort food on a cold winter's night.  I am sure if you used whole wheat ziti and low fat versions of all of the cheeses in it, the calories and fat count would go down.  But I only could do with what I had on hand.  And it was yummy!  :)

Well, I hope I have redeemed myself Melissa!  This week I am going for Seinfeld's Crockpot Lasagna and an easy spaghetti and meatballs concoction from Kraft foods!  (Easy but carb loaded... oh well...)

No comments:

Post a Comment