Saturday, March 19, 2011

Recipe Request

Last night I posted these pictures of dinner on facebook:

Ray's 100 (only 65!) Pepperoni Pizza
Homemade breadsticks
And the recipes were requested.  Sooo here goes....

Pizza Crust (The Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients 

  • 1 teaspoonInstant Or Active Dry Yeast
  • 1-½ cupWarm Water
  • 4 cupsAll-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoonKosher Salt
  • ⅓ cupsOlive Oil

 Preparation Instructions

Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm (not lukewarm) water. Let stand for a few minutes.

In a mixer, combine flour and salt. With the mixer running on low speed (with paddle attachment), drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour. Next, pour in yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined, and the dough comes together in a sticky mass.

Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set it aside for 1 to 2 hours, or store in the fridge until you need it.

Note: it’s best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.

When you are ready to make the pizza, grab HALF the pizza dough (recipe makes 2 crusts) and squeeze the dough toward the bottom to form a nice, tight, pulled ball. You can roll out the pizza with a rolling pin if you’d like, but sometimes it’s just as easy to throw it around and pull and stretch till it feels right. And when the crust is nice and thin, lay it on an oiled baking sheet or pizza pan. Drizzle a little olive oil on the dough and spread it with your fingers. Very lightly sprinkle some salt on the crust.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Top your crust with your toppings of choice. Then bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly.

I messed up quite a few pizza crusts until I found this one.  I am going to substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour next time.  Shhh.... don't tell newbie!

Pizza Sauce (Smashed Peas and Carrots)

Ingredients
 
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
  • 2 tsp basil
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Preparation Instructions

Mix all the above ingredients in a medium size bowl.  Spread on your pizza dough.  

This makes ALOT of sauce.  You can use it for a second pizza with your leftover dough or I pulled some out for our breadsticks.

On my pizza, I like to use - in this order - sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, grated parmesan cheese and pizza seasoning.

Homemade Breadsticks (Tasty Kitchen)


Ingredients

  • 1-½ cupWarm Water
  • 1 TablespoonInstant Yeast
  • 2 TablespoonsSugar
  • 3-½ cupsFlour
  • ½ teaspoonsSalt
  • 3 TablespoonsButter, For Melting In The Pan

Preparation Instructions

Mix all ingredients (except melted butter) in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread melted butter onto an 11×17-inch baking sheet. Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly if desired and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs of choice (I vary this depending on my mood, but it usually consists of rosemary, basil, or thyme in some form and crushed finely) and parmesan cheese. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.

I halved this recipe.  I spread melted butter on top, garlic salt and then grated parmesan cheese. It makes an awful lot of breadsticks!  I also took it out right at the 15 minute mark because I really like my breadsticks chewy.  

If my few months as a SAHM have taught me anything, it is how to search the internet for great recipes!  :-)  Just kidding!  It actually showed me how to be resourceful and quit settling for takeout or even purchasing some food items.  Who needs all that high fructose corn syrup and ingredients I cannot pronounce in their lives?  I know exactly what is going in my families mouths and I like it that way!  (It is sooo much cheaper too!)


As soon as newbie can figure out how to unstick our oven drawer (don't ask!) where I keep my cooking pans, I will be tackling homemade cereal type bars (think Nutrigrain), homemade vanilla wafers and graham crackers.  Maybe I will get really adventurous and try marshmallows.  But those look tough!

Enjoy your pizza and breadsticks!  Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment