Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Recipe Recap: Maple Spice Muffins

Yesterday began my NYR of trying at least 1 new, healthy recipe a week. I received the Double Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld as a Christmas gift from the Ray-man's brother. I asked for this after her watching her appearance on the Soon to be defunct Oprah show. Deceptively Delicious seemed complicated to me, but this one felt like even I could handle it!

It has a great section about slowly changing your family's eating habits, how to read labels and what to look for in the grocery store. It is a very realistic look at healthy choices for families.

After a few false starts (no grater, no sour cream, apple disaster), I finally got going on this fairly simple recipe.

Maple Spice Muffins
1 muffin= 198 calories, 35 g carbs, 4 g Protein, 5 g Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 250 mg Sodium, 2.5 g Fiber

20 mins prep is very accurate. That includes gathering, unless you are like me and need to send your husband to the store! The recipe makes 12 good size muffins that smelled absolutely delicious throughout the whole process.

Ingredients were fairly simple. Things that tripped me up: finding whole wheat pastry flour, lemon yogurt, and grating the carrot and apple. But the grating was only hard because I kept letting it get to small and catching my finger! As soon as I got out the allspice and cinnamon, I was in heaven. The batter smelled delicious!

I cooked them for about 22 mins. This was my first attempt at any muffin and my muffin pan did great! The were brown, but not burned and cooked all the way through the first time I opened the oven. The smell was so good that I wanted to reach in with my bare hands and pull one out and eat it right away with no regard for burning my mouth or hands! But I restrained and let them cool just a bit. Warm muffins are too good to pass up.

I was very worried about the carrot and being able to taste it. But I didn't notice it, the Ray- man didn't notice, baby girl I don't think would have cared and I had to tell the Ray-man's brother it was in there after he ate the whole thing!

All in all, a great recipe start to 2011. Easy to make, delicious to taste and super healthy for the fam. They even hold up well, I am eating one right now as I post this!

On tap for this week: Seinfeld's Teriyaki Chicken with Rice Pilaf

No comments:

Post a Comment